Our History

We Walk in Faith

Construction 2 RT
1961
Construction began on the parish school in February and in the fall 177 students began classes.  The school was staffed by the Servants of the Holy Heart of Mary.

1961

Construction began on the parish school in February and in the fall 177 students began classes. The school was staffed by the Servants of the Holy Heart of Mary.

1959

Archbishop William O. Brady established a Catholic parish in the community of Brooklyn Center. The Redemptorist (The Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer) was invited to staff the parish, making it the first Redemptorist parish in Minnesota.  The initial 1000 families of the parish used neighborhood schools for weekly Masses.  Ground was broken in June

1960

1960

The first Mass was celebrated on Mother’s Day.
On June 20th the church was dedicated by Archbishop Brady.

1963
Construction began in the early spring for a residence for the Redemptorist community.

1968
In March, ground was broken for the new church to meet the needs of a growing faith community.

1963

Construction began in the early spring for a residence for the Redemptorist community.

1968

In March, ground was broken for the new church to meet the needs of a growing faith community.

1969

The new church was consecrated on May 25.  The original church was converted into a gymnasium for the parish school.

1984

The parish celebrated its 25th anniversary.  St. Alphonsus foundation was established.  The Mother of Perpetual Help Shrine was restored.

1986

The parish dedicated a new shrine to our Mother of Perpetual Help.

Early 1st Communion Service

1989

Improvements were made in our facilities to ensure that all parishioners would have access regardless of their physical condition.  This included elevators, ramps, and renovated restrooms.  In addition, new doors and a new roof were installed, and the parking lot was resurfaced.

1996

The “We Walk in Faith” capital campaign provided funds to renovate the worship area, build a parish hall with kitchen facilities, bridal and parish nurse area, an entrance canopy, a middle school education wing, music room and a youth room.

1998

Archbishop Harry Flynn dedicated the new and renewed spaces.

bg1440x768
2009
The parish celebrated its 50th anniversary and a Fun fair revival was initiation.

2009

The parish celebrated its 50th anniversary and a Fun fair revival was initiation.
History

2012

The parish school celebrated its 50th anniversary.